In April 2019, the Bangor City FC Supporters’ Association held a meeting at which it decided to become incorporated as a Supporters’ Trust, following the example of a number of other supporters’ groups, including those running Chester FC and Wrexham AFC.
With a view to actively engaging with, and involving, the whole community, and working with partners who share its vision for a cohesive, sustainable and inclusive future for competitive football in Bangor, the Association applied to the Financial Conduct Authority to become a Supporters’ Community Mutual widely known by the description Supporters’ Trust.
On 31 May it was informed that its application had been approved and the new Trust started trading immediately. With a view to ensuring the continuity of competitive football of the highest possible standard in the city, and its catchment area, the Trust began the process of establishing a new football club.
Trust members were invited to propose their names for the new football club and Bangor 1876 was the overwhelming choice of the membership. An application for membership was lodged with the Football Association of Wales and in mid-June Clwb Pêl-Droed Bangor 1876 Football Club was placed into the Gwynedd Football League (Tier 5).
The name Bangor 1876 is an acknowledgement and homage to the origins of organised football in Bangor, which can be traced back to a public meeting held in the Magistrates Room on 18 December 1876. Then, as now, the aim was to ensure the continuity of competitive football of the highest possible standard in the city and its catchment area.
Back in 1876, blue and red were adopted as the official club colours with subscriptions fixed at five shillings. Suitable accommodation was found when a field adjoining the old Friars School, subsequently known as Maes-y-Dref, was hired from a gentleman by the name of Thomas Williams.
Bangor 1876 have also adopted a blue and red colour scheme for their playing kit, with the home strip consisting of royal blue shirts with red trim, white shorts, and blue socks with red tops. The change strip is all red with blue trim.
The new club will play its home matches in the picturesque setting of Bangor University’s Treborth Playing Fields on the banks of the Menai Straits. Straddled between Thomas Telford’s Menai Suspension Bridge and Robert Stephenson’s Britannia Bridge, Bangor 1876 will play on a newly-installed 3G surface which opened in July.
Bangor 1876 also unveiled that the City of Bangor coat of arms would be adopted as the official club crest. The choice of crest reflects the club’s commitment to serve the local community, and preserve its proud footballing heritage, whilst engaging with supporters from Bangor, the surrounding area and further afield.